Illumina are the world leaders in the DNA sequencing and genomics solutions. Our R&D facility in Cambridge develops the technologies and reagents that empower researchers across a wide variety of disciplines. We have recently commissioned new laboratory space on the Granta Park research campus that will house our consumables development team and are looking for a Laboratory Supervisor to look after the day to day logistics of a busy research lab.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to work in a cutting-edge laboratory ensuring that the technologists have the materials and working conditions they need to be successful.
The role will include/require:
- A highly organised person with an eye for detail who upholds safety and regulatory compliance within the laboratory.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline, with experience in chemical handling and instrumentation useful.
- An ability to manage multiple parallel activities, track progress, and provide a clear future schedule in a way which can be easily reported back to the manager and laboratory staff as a daily and weekly report.
- Maintain a laboratory plan and equipment list which captures dependencies, instrument needs, and user needs.
- Manage laboratory and office consumable products, raising requisitions for replenishment where necessary.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, how to handle sensitive materials, such as RNA and reactive chemicals.
- Maintain chemical inventory.
- Control and manage laboratory waste streams ensuring waste is correctly documented prior to collection and disposal.
- Write and update PUWER assessments, Risk Assessments, and COSHH assessments.
- Run scheduled preventative maintenance on a number of analytical tools.
- Engage external contractors to repair and maintain equipment.
- Formulation preparation following standard protocols (buffers, wash solutions).
- Ability to take on more challenging routine tasks which involve chemical or biochemical procedures.
The incumbent would be working in a brand new laboratory on a campus that has excellent facilities (gym, restaurants, and transport service to and from Cambridge)
This role would suit candidates who have a background in laboratory support and can demonstrate an understanding of concepts such as COSHH, waste management, chemical stock control, preventative maintenance, lab H&S and other support functions. In return we can offer a highly autonomous role with real responsibility.